Key landmarks of Washington
Chanctonbury Ring (known as Chanklebury in Sussex dialect) is the most famous landmark. This is a circle of trees that stand on the remnants of an old fort atop Chanctonbury Hill. Furthermore, the area is a Site of Special Scientific Interest due to its uncommon woodland. Also because it provides a natural habitat for an abundance of wildlife, including the Great Crested Newt.
Also, it is a relatively small village, with a population of just over 1,900. Due to this the Frankland Arms is the villages only pub. Built in around 1795, it has been at the heart of the community for well over 200 years. Serving real ales and traditional grub, it is the perfect resting place after a long ramble across the South Downs.
Furthermore, the village has 40 Grade II listed buildings, including cottages built of brick, flint and sandstone. Also the parish church of St Mary’s. Alongside these age-old structures sits a designated conservation area. Here it offers a tranquil spot to relax for tourists and locals alike.
Washington is just one of the places covered by the free Sussex Local magazine delivered by hand, by local people, every month.