Key landmarks of Barnham
Why not go for a drink in the village’s only remaining pub, the Murrell Arms, sited in a 1750 farmhouse? (The Bridge Inn closed in 2010.)
Shopping for groceries and other supplies can be done at the Barnham Trading Post, where stock is piled high and sold cheap!
For Church of England worship and historic interest, see the parish church, St Mary the Virgin. It features an elaborate font carved from Sussex marble and a striking white wooden tower that acted as a useful landmark for shipping in days gone by.
The village windmill, also known as John Baker’s Mill, is on the road to Yapton. Built of flint and stone in 1829, it operated as a mill until 1963 and is Grade 11 listed. In 2008, permission was granted to convert the windmill and adjacent tea-rooms into residential use.
There is a 17th century mansion, not open to the public.
Barnham is just one of the places covered by the free Sussex Local magazine delivered by hand, by local people, every month. The Barnham edition of the magazine not only covers the town itself, but also the following surrounding villages: